Sunday, February 21, 2010

Update


Ella and I

Not a lot seems to be happening lately. Our trip out to the Watoto village called Suubi on Saturday to play sports with the kids got rained out. So instead we hung out most of the day and practice a skit us international people are doing for the class.


************************

I went to a prison on tuesday with a group of 11 people and it was quite an awesome experience. We went to a prison for minor offences- people who are in for five or ten years or who stole chickens or something.

We had walked in halfway through one of their church services with the preacher shouting very loud in Luganda (the main language in the Kampala area). There was someone translating into english, but the man was shouting so loud that you could hardly hear the translation.

We sat with them through the service and sang with them in some incredibly joyful worship. After that we did our thing, which was bassically another church service. We had some songs.
I played guitar, but I could hardly hear it above the sound of the inmates singing. Then I played a song for them: Grace Like Rain. And then David, one of the guys with us preached a sermon.

It was a really great time.



Then on Friday we again visited Malogo Hospital. That was the third time we had been there and was a lot less emotionally draining that the last one.

The short of the last one (you can read the whole on Karsten's blog) is that a guy named Dennis and I visited a lady who was litterally rotting.

They had said something about in being cancer, But I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with her. All I know is that i saw this woman before me, dieing.

When we got there, the people attending to her pulled off her sheet, exposing her naked body and what was becomeing of it. I went into shock for a minute at what I saw, and so did Dennis. Her thigh was rotting. You could smell it in the air. And it was spreading to the rest of her body.

She asked us to pray for her that she could go home. She knew she would recieve better care at home than in the hospital because she had no money to pay the doctors so they could treat her.

People go there and wait to die.


This friday was much less traumatic.

We visited the Children's Ward and talked with the parents of some kids there. Some were very hopefull and already believe that by God, their child was fine. Others didn't really have much interest in hearing from us.

That's about all to say for now.


******************************************

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jonny! That's a great pic! You look like you are ten years old(ha ha). I bet ya those prisoners really enjoyed hearing you sing! Whenever we go over to mom and dads, I miss hearing you play your guitar, but at least someone gets to enjoy your playing!! Kennedy and Olivia miss you. They still remind us to pray for you everyday, " We need to pray for Jonny!" Hope all is well, Let the JOY OF THE LORD be your strength Jonny!!!!!! Love Matt

    ReplyDelete