Monday, February 8, 2010

It's in you to give

We visited a hospital on Friday called Malago. It's one of Uganda's main hospitals with the most advanced equipment. But the hospital having fancy machinery doesn't do anything for the people who have no money.

There are many patients lying in the ward I was in, basically dieing because they need blood, but have no money to pay the hospital. Add in the fact there there currently is a shortage of blood in Uganda and the poor patients basically get ignored, while all the available blood goes to the rich.

Two Ugandans an I sat with 2 different patients, each for ten or fifteen minutes. We talked with them for a bit and found out why they were at the hospital. One woman said she was in pain everywhere, I don't know exactly what the problem was though.

Another was there with Malaria and needed blood. Her husband, who was there, had donated blood and had received a card that would normally enable his wife to receive blood for free, but because blood is already in short supply, it goes to the rich. So him and his wife just sit together in the hospital, waiting for something, anything to happen.

1 comment:

  1. That's really sad. I bet being able to talk with you made a difference is those peoples lives!

    ReplyDelete