I read a book a year or two ago called Tortured for Christ. It was written by one of the leaders in the Romanian church during communist oppression fourty to fifty years ago. He spent a total of 14 years in prison. He has something like 11 holes in his body from what the communists did to him. He saw so much pain and suffering and had himself been trough hell. He struggles sometimes remembering the past, and can't open the fridge sometimes because it reminds him of his cold prison cell.
But the amazing thing is, he holds absolutly no resentment towards anyone for what happened to him. Not to the people who did it, and not to God for letting it happen.
He talks about how in prison he forgot everything he knew about the bible.
He couldn't remember any verse, or any theology. All he really had was Jesus' name.
He'd say Jesus' name when he was tortured. And it's Jesus' name that got him through.
That kinda gets me thinking...
Of how much I try to hold onto stuff that I know.
I mean, knowledge is a good thing, We are instructed to add to our faith goodness and knowledge and everything else good on top of that.
But what if you couldn't. What if you were stuck in prison where people brainwash you into forgetting all the theology you knew (A very extreme situation - I know). What if everything you clinged to for life besides the name of Christ was taken away from you.
He'd be enough.
Saturday, February 19, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment